Product Code: 1448
“Philippines online retail lags in Southeast Asia but is prepared for growth”, says new yStats.com report.
Philippine's low share of online retail sale in SEA region expected to change in next decade.
Though the population of the Philippines is the second largest in the Southeast Asia region, its share of retail sales compared to other markets is low. However, the young population and growing middle class, couple with increased Internet connectivity especially through smartphones and government initiatives are combining to prepare the way for rapid growth. The yStats.com report includes forecasts of the Philippines surpassing Singapore and Malaysia in total online retail sales by the middle of the next decade.
Philippine Internet connectivity spurs online shopping.
Internet connectivity reached well over half of the Philippine population last year. With the growth in web connections through smartphone, well over half of online shopping in the country was done through mobile device in 2018, as cited in the yStats.com report. Shopping through social media is becoming more popular, with Facebook reaching the rank of third most used site for online purchases of some products.
Regional merchants dominate Philippine E-Commerce
Online shoppers in the Philippines have made two Singapore-based platforms the most popular sites for purchases. Lazada and Shopee were also the top two most used shopping applications in mobile commerce. The yStats.com report lists other merchants in the top five players as Zalora, Argomall, and eBay. Lazada and Zalora have recently announced plans to establish new distribution centers in the Philippines to help overcome the poor logistics infrastructure of the geographically dispersed nation.
Lazada Group S.A., Shopee, Zalora.com.ph, Argomall, Inc., eBay Inc, Facebook, Inc.
Table of Contents
1. Management Summary
2. Overview & International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview and International Comparisons, June 2019
- Retail M-Commerce Sales Penetration, by Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Philippines, Russia and Vietnam, in % of Total Retail E-Commerce Sales, 2019e
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, in USD billion, and CAGR, in %, 2018e & 2023f
- Retail E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, by Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, 2015, 2018e & 2025f, and CAGR, in %, 2018e-2025f
- Digital Payment Service Penetration, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, in % of Respondents, Q2 2018
- Top 10 Most Visited E-Commerce Platforms, by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, Q1 2019
- Top 10 Shopping Apps by Most Active Monthly Users, by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, Q1 2019
- Breakdown of Internet Traffic by Device, in %, 2018
- Breakdown of Devices Used for Online Shopping, in % of Online Purchases, 2018
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried Out Online, in % of Internet Users, 2018
- M-Commerce Sales, in USD billion and in % Year-on-Year Change, 2017 - 2021f
- Cross-Border B2C E-Commerce Spending, in PHP billion, 2017 & 2018f
- Breakdown of Online Shoppers by Domestic Shoppers Only, Domestic and Cross-Border Shoppers, and Cross-Border Shoppers Only, in %, May 2018
- Top 5 Drivers to Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % Cross-Border Online Shoppers in the Philippines, May 2018
- Product Categories Purchased Cross-Border, in % Cross-Border Online Shoppers, May 2018
- Top 3 Countries Purchased From in the Latest Cross-Border Online Purchase, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, 2018
- Top 5 Payment Methods in Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % Cross-Border Online Shoppers in the Philippines, May 2018
4. Sales & Shares
- Internet Economy Market Size, in USD billion, by Sector, 2015, 2018e & 2025f
- B2C E-Commerce Spending, in PHP billion, 2017 & 2018e
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2018e
5. Internet Users & Online Shoppers
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2010 - 2018e
- Breakdown of Online Shoppers, by Age Group and Gender, in %, 2018
- Breakdown of Frequency of Online Shopping, by Gender, in % of Online Shoppers, 2018e
- Breakdown of Spending per Online Purchase, by Gender, in % of Online Shoppers, 2018e
- Product Categories Purchased in E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2018
- Payment Account Ownership, incl. E-Money Account, in % of Adults, February 2018
- Top 6 E-Payment Providers, by Awareness, in % of Adults, February 2018
- Breakdown of Reasons of Preference to Shop on Lazada and Shopee, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2018
- Top 5 Barriers to Cross-Border Online Shopping, incl. Delivery-Related, in % Cross-Border Online Shoppers in the Philippines, May 2018
- Overview of E-Commerce Players, June 2019
- Top 10 E-Commerce Websites, by Average Monthly Visits, in millions, Q1 2019
- Top 3 E-Commerce Platforms by Category, incl. FMCG, Beauty Products, Shoes, Apparel, Bags, Jewelry and Accessories, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2018