Product Code: 61059
The market for lithium-ion batteries is expected to register a CAGR of 20.1%, during the forecast period (2021-2026), reaching a market size of USD 168 billion in 2026 from USD 46.8 billion in 2019. Due to COVID-19 companies like BYD and CATL reduced the manufacturing capacities. Moreover, decreased sales of electric vehicles amid pandemic also resulted in the slow growth of lithium-ion batteries. However, the high demand for ventilators for medical purposes provided considerable growth during the spread of the virus. Apart from this, major factors driving the market studied are the emergence of new markets, via electric vehicle and energy storage systems (ESS), for both commercial and residential applications, declining lithium-ion battery prices, and the increasing sale of consumer electronics. However, the increasing demand-supply mismatch of raw materials is likely to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The stationary energy storage application dominated the market in 2019 and is expected to grow during the forecast period, due to its high energy density, fast recharge capability, and high discharge power, owing to which, the lithium-ion batteries are the only available technology that is capable of meeting OEM requirements.
- Recycling of Li-ion batteries is expected to secure the supply of raw materials, such as lithium and cobalt, and reduce the reliance on extracting and refining materials from mineral resources. Recycling lithium-ion batteries currently being used in electric vehicles offer an excellent opportunity for companies to utilize the refined constituent materials for manufacturing lithium-ion batteries that are to be used for Energy Storage Systems (ESS).
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest contribution coming from countries such as China and India With the large-scale acceptance of EVs the market is further is expected to grow in the region.
Key Market Trends
Stationary Energy Storage to Dominate the Market
- The stationary energy storage segment includes batteries, which find applications in telecom, data centers, UPS, ESS, medical equipment, railroad signaling, diesel generator starting, controls, solar power generation systems, wind power generation systems, and switchgear, among others.
- The unregulated diesel prices and carbon dioxide emissions are acting as barriers to the use of diesel generators. Therefore, the telecom tower companies are continuously moving toward energy-efficient solutions, as fuel costs amount to 30% of the telecom towers' operational expenditures. Therefore, the companies are leveraging high-efficiency lithium-ion batteries coupled with renewable energy at several sites.
- Encouraging incentives are taken by the governments, such as net metering, which has encouraged the installation of rooftop solar PV systems. Battery storage is an important part of the rooftop solar PV power generation process, as solar energy is intermittent and unavailable during the night. With solar PV capacity reaching 580 GW in 2019, the battery market is likely to grow strongly.
- The usage of lithium-ion battery-based solar home systems, off-grid solar lighting and charging products, and solar PV mini-grids have increased in the Asia-Pacific and African regions.
- Massive investments, predominantly in lithium-ion batteries, are driving down costs, while project developers are continuously getting better at designing and building customized storage systems, which is expected further to supplement the usage of battery-based energy storage systems.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share in 2019. With the increasing deployment of electric vehicles in countries, such as China and India, and the high demand for electronics with urbanization and increasing power purchase parity, the usage of lithium-ion batteries is expected to witness significant growth in the region.
- China is one of the largest markets for electric vehicles, and the increasing adoption of electric vehicles in the country has been in line with the clean energy policy. Moreover, the Government of China has been providing both financial and non-financial incentives to promote the adoption of electric vehicles.
- In 2019, Japanese joint venture Automotive Electronics Power Private Limited (AEPPL), signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the State Government of Gujarat for an INR 4,930-crore expansion investment in its upcoming lithium-ion battery production plant at Hansalpur, in Ahmedabad district. The plant in Gujarat will manufacture and supply lithium-ion batteries to Maruti Suzuki and Suzuki Motor Gujarat
- Favorable policies, such as the energy efficiency standards, and increasing peak demand charges and technological advances, have led to the commercial and industrial (C&I) sector receiving more attention from project developers, primarily driven by strong growth in China and India, which, in turn, is expected to drive the demand for lithium-ion-based energy storage systems in the region.
The lithium-ion battery market is fragmented. The major companies include Panasonic Corporation, Tesla Inc., Samsung SDI, LG Chem Ltd, and Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd (CATL).
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Scope of Study
- 1.2 Market Definiton
- 1.3 Study Assumptions
2 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2026
- 4.3 Lithium-ion Battery Price Trend Analysis, till 2026
- 4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
- 4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
- 4.6 Market Dynamics
- 4.6.1 Drivers
- 4.6.2 Restraints
- 4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.8.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Application
- 5.1.1 Electronic Devices
- 5.1.2 Automobile
- 5.1.3 Stationary Energy Storage (UPS, Renewables, Industrial)
- 5.1.4 Other Applications (Power Tools, Medical Devices, and Others)
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 5.2.2 Europe
- 5.2.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.4 South America
- 5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.3 Company Profiles
- 6.3.1 BYD Company Limited
- 6.3.2 Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited
- 6.3.3 LG Chem Ltd
- 6.3.4 Panasonic Corporation
- 6.3.5 Samsung SDI
- 6.3.6 Sony Corporation
- 6.3.7 Tesla Inc.
- 6.3.8 Tianjin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock Co. Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS